From the FILA Bureau Meeting held in Phuket (THA) on 15-16 February 2013: Approval was given for the establishment of a Scientific Commission within UWW. The impetus for this major addition has been the work of the International Network of Wrestling Researchers (INWR). The INWR initiated the proposal for a Scientific Department to FILA in 2011. The tasks assigned by UWW are
Promotion and Support of Needed Wrestling Research
- Conduct research requested by UWW to answer important questions.
- Organize research activities at major wrestling competitions and training centers.
- Form collaborative arrangements that will provide UWW increased access to expertise and other research resources.
- Identify wrestling researchers and scientists at an international level.
- Build a communication network so that wrestling researchers may communicate and share ideas.
- Support a database of wrestling-related research articles.
Distribution of Wrestling Scientific Knowledge
- Organize wrestling scientific congresses, seminars and workshops.
- Publish a wrestling scientific journal.
- Provide a wrestling scientific portal and discussion forum to enable communication between wrestling scientists, coaches and athletes.
- Support wrestling-related educational activities in collaboration with academic institutions and universities (e.g. advanced degrees)
- Provide scientific information for UWW Bureau and the other UWW Commissions.
- Provide scientific information for National Wrestling Federations.
- Develop the curricula of training and certification programs for all Federations to use with the various level of coaches-basic to advanced degrees.
- Complete other relevant tasks as assigned by the UWW Bureau.